Monday, August 4, 2008

I am a working girl again!

Wow. It has been a long time since I have posted. A lot has gone on this summer. Jon has shut down his business. He has been looking for an IT job for over a year and has had a hard time finding one. Most companies say that he has been out of the "business world" for too long. So we have had to make some tough decisions. He took a job at Dish Network and quickly was promoted to an IT tech position with Dish. He now has Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off. I have been struggling for a while with my being fulfilled as a stay at home mom. So, with our financial situation struggling and Jon being able to watch the kids some days, I have decided to go to work part time. I am working at Oxford Learning Center three evenings a week as a math tutor and come Sept. 3 I will be teaching at our church's preschool. The best thing about working at the preschool is that the kids get to go for free and I get paid on top of that. With as many kids as I have, that is an unbelievable pro for us! I would be lucky to break even if I went to work somewhere and I had to put my kids in daycare. The kids LOVE it at our church and so it is win-win for me and the kids. I have only gone to work at Oxford two days so far, but I have to say that I LOVE IT!! I can't tell you how much I have missed teaching math! I love my kids but it is so nice to get to talk and work with some adults and to teach a subject that I just love! I know once I start working at the preschool too, it is going to be very hectic, but I think it will be so worth it. My week starting in the fall will look like this...

MONDAY
get up, get self ready, and five kids ready
8:15 load everyone into car including backpacks and lunches
8:40 drop Drew off at Westwood Elementary School (he is in the 4 year old preschool)
9:00 arrive at church, get classroom ready
9:30 take triplets and Kensie to their classrooms and greet my class
11:30 Jon goes to pick up Drew at school and spends time with him
2:30 pick up triplets and Kensie, clean up my classroom
2:45 Jon meets me at church, we switch cars, I head out for Oxford, he takes kids home
3:30 start tutoring at Oxford
8:30 finish up tutoring and head home

Tuesday
8:40-11:30 Drew at school
Jon and I get a day to spend with the kids
3:30-8:30 I work at Oxford

WEDNESDAY
repeat schedule from Monday except I just take all the kids home after church preschool. Somehow, I will need to get Drew to the church after his school. We will either have him ride the bus or Marianne will pick up or I will leave church to go get him...we haven't decided what is the best option yet.

THURSDAY
repeat schedule from Monday except I will go to Oxford from 6-8pm

FRIDAY
8:40-11:30 Drew at school
AHHH day at home

We are so thankful that some things have worked out for us this summer financially. I can tell you that we have had some huge hurdles and we have gotten so much closer to God through this process. Keep us in your prayers as we still have some things to work through, but we KNOW that God will get us through this tough time.

Since I haven't shown pictures in quite awhile, here are a few of my favorites from this summer.

1 comment:

Gommy said...

Carla and Jon,
Just reading this takes my breathe away! I remember when we went through a similar schedule when our 5 children [12-3 mo] were all still at home, and our financial situation was stretched. One thing you have a plethora of peace and love.